Friday 9 March 2012

Getting friendly with Herman



A couple of weeks ago I was given 'Herman' by a friend at work.  Herman is a German friendship cake.  For those of you who haven't heard of this before, a friendship cake is sort of like a chain letter, but without the horrible bad luck/your puppy will die bits and the added bonus of cake at the end!  My sister and I had one when we were at school and I remember it being a lot of fun, it sat on top of the fridge bubbling away in a very bizzare science experiment way!


Herman is a sour dough cake, you get given a small portion, keep it for 10 days during which time you feed it and stir it and he grows.  At the end of your ten days you give portions to friends and mix up a cake from your portion.  Below is a photo diary of my ten days with Herman, at the very bottom of the post is the instructions for Herman, including how to start your own if no-one you know has one.



Herman Day 2

Herman Day 4
Herman Day 6
Herman day 8
Herman baked with cherry, coconut and choc chips
Herman junior is now on his way to being a sultana and apple cake.  I didn't have any apple in the house when I baked Herman Snr so I missed it out and while the cake is still nice, it was a bit dry.  Also I got a bit carried away and added too many chocolate chips (who knew there was such a thing!) so I am looking forward to a rerun.


Have ago yourself...



German Friendship Cake


Hi, my name is Herman and I am a sour dough cake, I am supposed to be kept on a kitchen worktop, loosly covered fot 10 days, during which time you sould feed me.  If you put me in the fridge I will die and if I stop bubbling I am dead!  Day 1 is the day you receive the mixture.


Day 1: When you get Herman please take off the lid and put the mixture in a large mixing bowl (2 litres+), cover the bowl loosely with a tea towel or cling film.


Day 2: Stir well


Day 3: Stir well


Day 4: Now I need feeding!  Add the following ingredients, stir well and cover again: 1 cup plain flour, 1 cup milk, 1 cup sugar.


Day 5: Stir well


Day 6: Stir well


Day 7: Stir well


Day 8: Stir well


Day 9: Hungry again!  Add the same ingredients as day 4 and stir well


Now divide the mixture into 4 equal portions.  Save 1 portion to make a cake for yourself tomorrow.  Give portions 2 and 3 away to 2 friends with a copy of these instructions.  Keep the final portion for your next cake and follow these instructions to grow me again.


Day 10: Make your Herman cake as follows


Stir well and add the following ingredients:
1 cup sugar
2 cups plain flour
2 eggs
2tsp cinnamon
2tsp vanilla essence
2tsp baking powder
2/3 cup oil
2 cooking apples peeled, cored and chopped into chunks
1 cup raisins
Optional extras like cherries, nuts, chocolate chips, coconut, ground ginger


Mix all together and pour into a large tray tin.  Bake for 35-45 mins at 170-180 degrees.  When cold cut into fingers and enjoy!


How to get a Herman started:
460g plain flour
500ml milk
230g sugar
90ml warm water
2tbsp active dry yeast


Sprinkle 1tbsp suagr over the water
Sprinkle the yeast over this and leave in a warm place for about 10 mins
Mix the milk, sugar, flour and yeast mixture in a large bowl
Cover loosely
Place in a warm place and stir every day.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...